Why Gaskets are used?
A leak from the flange joint can be disastrous. A flange leak results in loss of product and energy. No plant operator wants leaking of toxic or hazardous material that can harm human and environment. The gasket can help in achieving reliable sealing to prevent the leak from the flange joints.
Types of Gaskets to be used in given fluid service is depends on the parameters such as
- Temperature –Gasket material must withstand entire design temperature range of the fluid it handles.
- Pressure –Gasket material must withstand entire design pressure range of the fluid it handles.
- Corrosion resistance –Gasket material should not corrode when it comes in contact with the fluid it handles or by the environmental exposure.
- Types of fluid –Gasket material should be capable of dealing with different type of fluids if installed in line that handles more than one types of fluids.
- Robustness –The gasket must be capable of withstanding all movement that may occur due to change in temperature and pressure.
- Availability –Gasket should be easily
- Cost –Cheap and unreliable gasket should not be used at the same time it should not be costly.